The Toronto Waterfront Marathon is back! On Sunday, October 15, 2023 the Romero House community will be walking and running to raise money for the important work of welcoming refugees. We would love your support!
What is the Waterfront Marathon?
The TCS Toronto Waterfront Marathon (formerly the Scotiabank Waterfront Marathon) is a beloved event bringing together more than 80 people from the Romero House community to run, walk, and hand out water to runners on a beautiful morning in October. Some people run full marathons or half marathons but most people run or walk the 5km route. We will be a small but mighty group amongst thousands of people running, walking and raising money for different charities through the Charity Challenge. Romero House has participated in this event since 2013.
Run or walk
One option is to get out and run or walk in the race on October 15. You can join a team or run on your own but everyone will be doing it together for Romero House!
How to register for the race on October 15
- Click here to register (Please use this link to register because we receive a $5 donation when you do!)
- On the right, click “Register for event”
- Create an account in Race Roster if you don’t already have one.
- Select the run/walk you plan to complete (There is a virtual option if you are not available on October 15 or you do not want to run in a large group. The virtual option involves running your own route any time in October.) Most of the team will be completing the 5KM run/walk, which costs $55 to register for (prices go up on August 16).
- Fill out the required fields.
- This year we are going to have multiple teams running in support of Romero House, rather than a single large team. Let’s enjoy a little friendly competition and see who can raise the most funds! One team will be for current and former residents and staff of Romero House, another will be for friends and neighbours of Romero House, or you could create your own team. A team could be for a group of family, coworkers, running club, faith community, or anything else. Invite them to join you in this fun and meaningful event!
- If you want to join an existing team, such as the Friends and Neighbours Team: Under “General & TSC Charity Challenge Fundraising Teams”, in response to the question “Add registrant to a team?”, click “Yes, add this registrant to a team created by someone else.” Under “Team category”, select “Fundraising Team – TCS Charity Challenge”. Under “Select team”, choose your team name e.g. “Friends and neighbours of Romero House”.
- If you want to create a new team that will run together for Romero House: Under “General & TSC Charity Challenge Fundraising Teams”, in response to the question “Add registrant to a team?”, click “Yes, create a new team and add this registrant”. Under “Team category”, select “Fundraising Team – TCS Charity Challenge”. Create your team name and under “Do you want to set preferred fundraising organization(s) for this team?” search for “Romero House” (this will ensure you are fundraising for Romero House).
- Complete your registration.
- Contact us by email to request assistance with your registration.
We can pay the registration fee for a limited number of current and former residents and staff of Romero House. Sign up early to get a spot! For more details, please contact Marisol, our Community Services Coordinator for the fall.
Every year Romero House brings 30 volunteers to hand out water to thousands of runners participating in all the races, including the marathon. It is a fun and rewarding activity and we would love your support!
To volunteer on race day, please read the following instructions and then click Register to Volunteer to complete the registration form.
How to register as a Volunteer
- Enter ROMERO in the field labeled “Have a password? Enter it here:“. This is the Group Password.
- Click on the Position Name to expand
- You should see 6:30am – 1:00pm under the shift time
- Select [view description] to learn about responsibilities, location, check-in, dress code, and more
- Complete the form, accept the WAIVER by marking in the checkbox, and enter your digital signature
- Click JOIN THE TEAM!
**Volunteers are encouraged to register as soon as possible, as Volunteer Registration will close on Sunday, October 8 or when full**
If you have any questions, contact Mary Jo Leddy, our water station coordinator extraordinaire.
What it means to be part of our team
- The event is lots of fun! Not only the race itself but a neighbour also hosts a barbeque afterwards, to which everyone running in support of Romero House is invited.
- It’s a chance to meet fellow community members, including residents, volunteers, staff, neighbours, and supporters.
- Get some exercise! Whether you are walking the 5km or running the full marathon, we are here to support you. There are many great resources to help you prepare.
- Everyone on the Romero House team will receive a famous Romero House yellow t-shirt. This year they will be screen printed by hand by a dedicated neighbour!
- You can feel good about helping raise money so that Romero House can continue its work of walking with refugees
Why it matters
Romero House offers transitional housing, immigration and settlement services, and a community of welcome to those fleeing persecution around the world. We do this in the spirit of accompaniment and as good neighbours. Last year alone we supported more than 700 refugee claimants with their claim process, registering for school and finding work, and more. You can read more about our work in our latest Annual Report.
As you’re aware, refugee claimants are facing significant housing challenges, and the support Romero House provides is instrumental in helping them navigate these difficulties. Our commitment to offering wraparound support during their first year in Canada, advocating for more emergency shelter and affordable housing, and promoting community integration remains unwavering. With your involvement, we can ensure that refugee claimants in our neighbourhoods are safe, thriving, and know that they belong.